Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Psoriasis..Eczema..Itchiness...Oh My!

Yesterday I had someone ask me what I would recommend for Psoriasis.  I realized that I create things all the time that I use to treat my own and my daughters skin aliments, but I haven't said much about what I sell that would help, and I haven't blogged about any of it either.

I have a great salve that I use that I really wish I had thought to take step by step pictures of when I made my last huge batch because it really would make a pretty great blog post.

Anyways, today I will list out some herbs that I would recommend to help psoriasis or eczema or any other skin ailment.

Calendula: Can be used externally for ailments such as acne, eczema, psoriasis, sunburns, chapped lips, cuts, scrapes, bruises, and other various skin ailments. Calendula is an astringent, antiseptic, antifungal and anti-inflammatory. The petals can be used in lotions, ointments, infused oils, teas, tinctures, salves, in the bath, and many other ways to help produce results.
**Simply Natural Soaps & Sundries sells soaps that are made either with calendula infused oils or with petals in the actual soap.  Check it out here!


Lavender: Lavender is an antiseptic. The essential oil is used to help heal ailments such as acne, athlete's foot, dandruff, burns, eczema, psoriasis, boils, bruises, insect bites, and many other ailments. 


Chamomile: Aside from the many great things Chamomile can aid in, it is also great at helping skin elasticity.  If used with witch hazel it can even help with eczema.



St. John's Wort:  Can be used to treat bruises, burns, wounds, bites and other skin ailments.
Plantain: Is another amazing herb. It is used to treat so many things! I could do a whole post about plantain.  One of its uses is on skin conditions.  It can help with burns and bites and other skin ailments like psoriasis and eczema.  It works like aloe, to soothe the burn and itching sensation of skin ailments.  What's even better about this herb? You probably already have it growing in your backyard! It's a weed that grows all over. Here are a couple pictures to help you identify it.  Save money....you don't even have to plant it!


Evening Primrose Oil: Can be consumed (vitamin/pill form) or the oil can be applied topically to the effected area.

Milk Thistle: Can help regulate your immune system.  An immune system that is behaving irregularly can cause outbreaks of Psoriasis or other skin ailments. This herb can also help protect the liver.


Burdock Root: Burdock is very effective at managing or treating chronic skin ailments. It helps to destroy fungus and bacterial cultures present under your skin. It helps prevent or cure disorders such as boils, psoriasis and even acne. It can also help manage eczema.  Burdock contains large amounts of vitamin C which can help restore scaly skin.
Those are the main herbs that I want to talk about today. I might do another post this week on essential oils.

I plan on  making a few new salves using various herbs, but for now, if you would like to try one: Herbal Skin Salve is for sale on my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment