Friday, April 5, 2013

DIY Dishwasher Soap

Ok, so I think I am going to start selling the powdered dishwasher soap that I have been using for the last couple of weeks.  I really, really love it!  I swear it cleans my dishes better than any of the big name commercial products I have ever tried.  And what's better? I can pronounce ALL of the ingredients...and they are all things I already had in my house!

I figured I would post the recipe for anyone who has time or is into the DIY type projects...but otherwise, let me know if you would like to order some!

In a glass jar mix the following ingredients:

1 Cup - Borax
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (NOT baking soda)
1/2 Cup - Citric Acid (double for hard water locations)
1/2 Cup - Kosher Salt


Now, the salt can turn this mixture into a SOLID ROCK!  To prevent this from happening, leave the lid off of the jar for a few days....and possibly once in a while after that.  I've just been leaving mine open in the cabinet or on the counter, but I read that you should only need to do so for a few days in the beginning.

If you continue to have problems, you can leave the salt out. It acts as an additional water softener and exfoliant.

Use approximately 1 tablespoon per load.

In your rinse aid compartment, fill it with white vinegar.  This will not make your dishes smell "vinegary" but works as a natural (and cheap!) rinse aid for your dishes!

That's it! Super easy!!  The only ingredient that you might have trouble finding is the citric acid.  Someone told me that you could use Kool Aid in place of it...I would recommend DO NOT DO THIS!!! Kool Aid, while it does contain citric acid, also contains several other ingredients that you really do not want to use on your dishes!  I have heard that you can find citric acid in your local grocery canning aisle. Though I have not had much luck with this.  I had to order mine from the site that I order most of my other soap making materials from.

If you would like to purchase the entire recipe completed, let me know...or I would also be willing to sell just the citric acid if you have everything else but cannot find that.

Check us out:  simplynaturalsoaps.net  to place an order or send us an email.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Allthingsabigaile,

    I saw your uploaded video on YouTube and wanted to send you a note, but I couldn't find the contact space on your other blog. I wanted to talk about all things MS. I can be reached at my counterpane@gmail.com - hope we can connect!

    Thanks,

    Kate

    ReplyDelete